Sierra Vista Community Church
About OUR CHURCH
Each Sunday at 9:30 AM we gather for worship in the sanctuary. We share the witness of the Scriptures, inspiration of prayer and the preached word. Each week we celebrate the Lord's Supper. All who worship with us and desire to do so are welcome at the Lord's Table.
Following the 9:30 AM worship service, we have a time of fellowship and light refreshment.
We value getting to know each other better and welcoming those who are new to our faith community.
Our Choir provides outstanding music for the 9:30 AM worship service.
Rehearses every Wednesday at 4:00 PM in the choir room.
Is open to anyone who wants to make a joyful noise to the Lord.
OUR SEASONAL CANTATA CHOIR for Christmas and Easter.
Includes the Parish Choir and is open to those who want to use their talents in the short term for special events.
Christian Education opportunities for all ages.
Bible study is on Wednesdays from 11am to noon in the sanctuary. Join us as we learn and grow together.
Age specific programming with topics of interest to our adult and senior citizen population.
Men's group Bible Study meets monthly on the 1st Saturday at 7:30 a.m. and includes hot breakfast.
A Variety of Social Activities
WEEKLY BIBLE STUDIES
WOMEN'S FELLOWSHIP MONTHLY MEETINGS
LENTEN SOUP SUPPERS WITH BIBLE STUDY
CareNet Crisis Prenancy Center
Good Neighbor Alliance
Neighbors in Need
One Great Hour of Sharing
Operation Christmas Child
Strengthen the Church
Veterans of the Cross
IN THE BEGINNING
Late in 1957 about 50 people from the Sierra Vista area joined together to form a Protestant Church (a joint effort of folks from 4-5 Protestant denominations) to give witness to their faith. On December, 22,1957,
they held their first worship gathering, using the Masonic Temple. Rev. Clell Hickman was called as the first pastor. By December of 1959 the church had 81 members, and they saw the need for their own building. Fundraising was begun, and land on the far east side was secured. Groundbreaking took place on January 21, 1962.The new building was dedicated a year later on January 27, 1963. (That building now serves as the Fellowship Hall.)
The church continued to grow, in both spirit and number. Music became an even more important part of the church life. By 1974 the church counted 225 active members.
After a series of pastors in the prior years, the Lord brought Ross and Shirley McGuire. He served the church faithfully for some 30 years, during which time the new sanctuary was built in 1980.